Prev: RE: Images [CLEAN STAMP] Next: RE: Integrating Snipers into DirtSide II

Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign)

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:27:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign)

Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> Hi All,

(snipped.)

> System Thrust
>
> Scale:
> 1 hex = 1/3 AU, or 3 hexes = 1 AU

Could a turn be a few hours long?  (I know some will ask this...me too.)

> Systems:

(snipped)

> ring: so Earth orbits in the ring of hexes three out from the star).
Though
> all planets are included for completeness, you need only have out to
the
> FTL Limit on the game board. (Yes, I set 10AU/30 hexes arbitrarily; so
sue
> me.)

The arbitrary FTL limit is fine.  You could give a rating to sol's size,
(like
1-10, with sol being say 5)  then use a simple multiplier for the FTL
limit.
(my example Sol's would be 6 x 5 = 30 hexes.

> Set-Up:
> When setting up planets in their orbits, the owner of the system
selects
> any one planet and places it anywhere in its orbit ring. Then the
opposing
> player does the same with a planet of his choice, and they continue
> alternating. (Yes, this is completely at odds with reality, but it
should
> work for the game!)

Or use dice rolls to place the planets.

> Movement:

(snipped)

> by all other units friendly to that vessel. (NO! I'm not going to take
time
> lag of communication into account at this scale.)

I agree with you.  Figuring in com lag would be something only the
deturmined
would attempt.

> Combat:
> Ships in the same hex will engage in a FT combat on the tabletop.

Retreating ships would retreat back the system map in the proper hex.

> Detection:

(Snipped)

> Play and have fun.

All in all, a good simple system.  (Just the way I like my rules!)

Now it needs random system generation, and it would make a fine addition
the a
Strategic Product. (hint, hint Jon (GZG))

Donald Hosford

Prev: RE: Images [CLEAN STAMP] Next: RE: Integrating Snipers into DirtSide II