Prev: Re: Mid-point firing? Re: Random Firing in Phases Next: Re: SGII Newbie Question

Re: Mid-point firing? Re: Random Firing in Phases

From: devans@u...
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:44:28 -0500
Subject: Re: Mid-point firing? Re: Random Firing in Phases

***
I'd go for this, but would only allow each _ship_ to fire at either the
mid-point or end.
***

Absolutely, this was to me the obvious idea; you can place a colored
ring around each ship's base post as it fires. In some of my games,
that would be a good idea anyway, given slowing mental processes. ;->=
Just wanted to hear if someone had a simple mechanism for more complex
shooting.

***
One downside that's just occurred to me - it becomes much harder for
small ships moving very fast to attack capitals. Currently a small ship
moving at (say) 26"-30" can go from being out of range of a class-3 beam
to within range of his own SubM packs in one move without being blown
away.
***

I'm not entirely certain this is bad; I'd have to do more work on the
numbers... As I've said, it's hard to get those kind of speeds anyway
where I play. Small tables make it hard not to run off the edge. Also,
small ships should attack in suicidal droves to score on big ships.
Not sure about the points in this case...

***
I'd say no to this just becasue of the added time and complexity of
move-fire-move, not to mention that it blows some of the points balance
out
of the water (Thanx for catching that Tony).
***

Well, this is definitely a home rule test idea. I'll give a go sometime,
but wanted to hear if anyone else had. Thanks!

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Mid-point firing? Re: Random Firing in Phases Next: Re: SGII Newbie Question