Prev: OT: Battle Masters Rules Next: RE: Star Blazers Fleet Book Conversions

Re: [FT] Jump Limits

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 18:43:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Jump Limits

Mr Cheyne said:

>As an aside, merchant shipping would have a hell of a time
carrying out
>commerce if they have to vector in from Earth from Saturn
everytime they
>jump insystem. Instant FTL transition followed by 3 months
burn time to
>achieve docking at an earth orbit station could be very
tedious. Not only
>that it would make them _very_ easy targets for pirates
unless under strong
>escort....

1 day at 1 gee means you move .25 AU and have a vector of .5
AU per day (using the real equations rather than the FTFB
"Instant acceleration at the beginning of the turn" mode).
So your merchie jumps in, finds his destination on the other
side of the sun, at 12 AU away, and starts burning.  After a
little less than 5 days, he flips and starts decelerating;
after a total of ten days from start he's maneuvering to
dock.

The equation is d = 0.5 a t^2 where d = distance traveled, a
= acceleration (close enough to 10m/sec^2) and t is the
amount of time spent accelerating.  (I'm assuming constant
linear acceleration here, and ignoring plane changes,
matching velocities and gravitational effects).

Prev: OT: Battle Masters Rules Next: RE: Star Blazers Fleet Book Conversions