Prev: Re: Fw: [FT] Islamic Federation ships and request to Nyrath Next: Counter Battery

Re: "Stars!" Computer game

From: "Chris Lowrey" <clowrey@p...>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:01:48 -0500
Subject: Re: "Stars!" Computer game

>http://www.webmap.com/stars/
>
>anyone have opinions on this?

Stars! is a very fun game, especially when done PBEM.  There is some
complexity to the game, and some management required, but you ARE
supposed
to be setting up your Star Empire to rule the galaxy, so this is as it
should be.

A similar game that I like just as much is called Space Empires III.
You
can find info on it here:
http://www.crl.com/~malfador/se3.html

Overall I like SEIII better than Stars!, except when playing
multiplayer.
Stars! turns are generated and processed simultaneously.  SEIII turns
are
done sequentially - so I would do my turn, then send the file to my
opponent
and he would do his turn, then he would send it to the next player, and
so
on.  This makes the game move slower, and if someone breaks the chain,
then
you're screwed.

Still, SEIII gives you much more control over tech increases, planetary
production, ship design, and diplomacy than Stars!.  Also, Space Empires
IV
is supposed to feature simultaneous turns, so it should be a great deal
better.

Chris

Prev: Re: Fw: [FT] Islamic Federation ships and request to Nyrath Next: Counter Battery