Prev: Re: The UN Next: Re: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes

Re: SML Absorbers

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:31:08 +1000
Subject: Re: SML Absorbers

Imre A. Szabo wrote:

> The actual trend in ships you are talking about are OPV's...	Off
shore Patrol
> Vessels are basically corvette sized ships with LESS armament and
greater sea
> keeping abilities through longer time on station and refined
hydrodynamics.
> The ships you guys are designing look more like PT boats...  A real
OPV would
> be about mass 14 to 16 ship with a hull of at least 3 and probably 4,
(or 3 and
> armor) and have a thrust of 6 to 8.  Armament would be 1 to 2 PDS's, a
class 2
> beam, and SubMunitions...

Damn, I hate quoting posts in full... can't think of anything to snip
though.

Anyway, you're right. The only addition is that OPVs usually have "space
and weight" allocated to upgrade their armament radically in time of War
with a capital W.

See the "Freemantle" class that's in the ship registry for an example -
a super destroyer sized ship with a single class 1 beam (enough to deal
with unarmed and PDAF-only armed ships), good long-range ability (more
FTL than strictly neccessary) and the ability to be upgraded a lot.

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: The UN Next: Re: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes