Prev: RE: FTL Jumps and making it tricky... Next: Re: Vector Movement

Re: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:52:19 +1000
Subject: Re: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes

GBailey@aol.com wrote:

> I'm trying to convert SFB ships to FT (I have lots of minis)

Lucky Man!

> I do not like using missiles as plasma torpedoes as another tried in
some
> post long ago.  Just doesn't have that feel, besides point defenses
should
> not work against plasma torpedoes.

I know what you mean: but in the one episode of ST:TOS where Plasma
Torps were used, the counter was to both a) Fly Backwards as fast as
possible (Kaufman Retrograde in other words) and b) Fire Phasers at the
thing.

Both together were needed, to attenuate the effects.

Of course, ST:TOS didn't have Point Defences as such.

Try having a look at:
http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain/FT/NEWSYS.HTM
(which may be the "PTs as Missiles" bit you didn't like)

This would seem to cover the behaviour as evidenced in the episode
reasonably well, given that you want to keep things simple and within
the rules as written as much as possible. While retaining a bit of SFB.
I'm sure they could be improved, just don't know how to while keeping
things simple!

Regards, AEB.
--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: RE: FTL Jumps and making it tricky... Next: Re: Vector Movement