Prev: RE: [FT] Terraforming Styrofoam Next: Re:[GZG-TER] Measuring Sticks

Re: [FT] Terraforming Styrofoam

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:23:22 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Terraforming Styrofoam

On 22-Aug-99 at 17:14, John Crimmins (johncrim@voicenet.com) wrote:
> I discovered a new Art Supply store yesterday, and I picked up some
items
> for making FT terrain -- two wooden balls (about 1/2" in diameter), a
> strofoam ball (3" in diameter) and a strofoam hemisphere (8" in
diameter).
> The plan is to turn the hemisphere into a gas giant, and the smaller
items
> into moons -- all grossly out of scale with the ships, but they should
look
> neat.
>
> Here's the question of the hour: how do I seal this styrofoam?  It has
> very rough texture; not beaded, but very porous.  I'm thinking of
using
> miliput, which is very easy to work with when you have enough water,
and
> adds strength besides.  I'm not sure if this is the best option,
though.
> Anyone done this before?  And if so, what'd you use?

I use mod-podge, you can pick it up at about any craft or sewing store.
It looks like a big jug of white glue, paint it on and let it dry.  Then
primer.  I usually use two coats to make sure I don't leave holes the
paint will eat.

For primering the Krylon sandable primer has to be the best stuff I
have ever seen.  I don't even worry about how light I get the coat
any more, a big wet blob will dry to a nice even coating that shows
all the detail.

Also, if you check at a super-Walmart in the section where they have
flower arranging stuff you will find the spheres you are talking about.

Roger

(Who doesn't use any of the miniatures paints, the craft stuff is
 cheaper and, more importantly, better)

Prev: RE: [FT] Terraforming Styrofoam Next: Re:[GZG-TER] Measuring Sticks