Prev: Re: Fw: [FT] Islamic Federation ships and Pournelle sensors Next: Re: Inches versus CM (was Re: Vector Movement)

Re: Armageddon Outfitter (was: Granaatscherven)

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:28:04 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Armageddon Outfitter (was: Granaatscherven)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Samuel Reynolds wrote:

> not so long ago, tom a wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Izenberg, Noam wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe I miscounted, but I thought my AI scout had 3 hull boxes (1
hull + 2
> >> armor). I didn't but any weapons on it becuase the base AI in the
PSB I wish
> >> to use would be overtaxed trying to maneuver with the  ship its
escorting
> >> _and_ conduct defensive fire.
> >
> >i worked it out on argmageddon outfitter, which i think may behave a
> >little strangely at low mass.
>
> If you can identify a case where AO/FB Ship Designer generates
> incorrect results, let me know--I'll fix it.

ah, well, the thing is, i don't have a copy of the FB, so i can't check
if
unexpected behaviour is a bug in AO or my understanding of the design
rules. the problem i had was in duplicating Noam's design: AO thought it
was illegal. still, chances are it was error on my part.

> BTW: If I added SRD generation to AO, would people use it?

SRD = SSD, i assume.

> Without having done it yet, I think it would work this way:
>    o	Checkbox switches Design Summary between text and SRD.

how about a link or button, so that you use AO as-is, then click on a
link
for the SSD at the end. the current display is, i'd say, better for
designing, and far more lightweight (if updating the SSD is slow, people

won't use it in the design phase).

>    o	Uses custom downloadable font for SRD symbols (but
>	with version 4+ browsers would not require font
>	installation).

but not by everyone else. would this work for mac users (probably)? unix
users (unlikely)?

>    o	By downloading and installing font, you could copy
>	and save SRD from page, and view/print it off-line.

i'd favour constructing a GIF and sending that, but this would take cgi
hackery, which is probably tricky and very isp-dependent.

> I'm also thinking about what features to provide for a
> Dirtside II Motor Pool module, for designing DSII vehicles.

that would be cool too; someone should collect together the links for
AO,
your proposed MP app and the SG2 power armour designer (which i've never
seen, but have heard tell of).

regards,
tom

Prev: Re: Fw: [FT] Islamic Federation ships and Pournelle sensors Next: Re: Inches versus CM (was Re: Vector Movement)