Prev: Re: [FT] FTMap Sprites Next: Re: Armageddon Outfitter (was: Granaatscherven)

Re: Fw: [FT] Islamic Federation ships and Pournelle sensors

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:22:01 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Fw: [FT] Islamic Federation ships and Pournelle sensors

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Laserlight wrote:

> From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com>
>
> >This Light Tug has some problems from an economical standpoint.  The
> >obvious "Standard" lighter is:
> >
> >Mass 50
> >Hull 5
> >Main Drive 5 (Thrust 2)
> >Cargo 40
> >Points 70
> >
> >and the light tug carries three of 'em.  For the price of two tugs
and
> >six lighters, we can purchase 10 light freighters (actually we are 10
> >points short) with 270 cargo capacity vice the 240 offered by the
> >lighters, and have the additional flexibility of multiple hulls with
> >FTL.

otoh, since the cargo bays aren't tied to the drive assembly, you don't
have your expensive components (the ones in the tug) sitting in port for
day or two while the ship is loaded - if trips between ports are on the
order of weeks and layovers are on the order of days, you have 10-15 %
of
a freighter's working life being spent in dock. contrast this to the
tug-and-lighter setup, where your tugs can spend 100% of their uptime in
action. that difference is almost certainly enough to make tugs
competitive.

it's interesting that this breaks down for longer trip times - if you
lay
over for a few days at either end of a journey of a few months, the gain
from a tug is far less. thus, short-haul cargo transport may be handled
by
(small) tugs, whereas long-haul backbone traffic is handled by (larg)
conventional freighters.

tom

Prev: Re: [FT] FTMap Sprites Next: Re: Armageddon Outfitter (was: Granaatscherven)