Prev: Re: AARS Next: Re: Vector Movement

Re: Vector Movement

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:50:37 +0200
Subject: Re: Vector Movement

----------
> Från: Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us>
> Till: gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
> Ämne: Re: Vector Movement
> Datum:  den 11 augusti 1999 19:02
>

> > >If you play vector, you play vector. If you play cinematic, you
play
> > >cinematic. Basically it means you have to be aware of the
> > >risks/character of the system you use. For example, we have found
it
> > >very hard for the FSE to make a dent in the NSL in Vector, because
> > >their high thrust is less of an advantage (it still helps, but it
is
> > >less of an advantage given the burst radius change for SMs). The
> > >solution I think that will be tried (and probably to good effect)
will
> > >be a 4" burst radius for SMs in vector. That should nicely even
things
> > >out for the FSE. We sort of proved <with some math> that the
coverage
> > >envelope for SMs needs upped a bit in vector or the only thing
you'll
> > >ever hit is a thrust 2 ship or luckily a thrust 4.
>
> Only if you are dealing with 1 SM.  4 covers a 6 inch circle fairly
> well with significant overlap.  You get better coverage if you have
> some clue what your opponent is doing.  (He is advancing, it is
> unlikely he is going to retreate, suddenly 2 gets coverage.)
>
> What, you want to hit with all your SM's?  They are far too cheap and
> take up too little mass if you can hit a decent opponent 50% of the
> time.
>
> Personally, I like 6 inches in vector, it means I won't miss anything
> with thrust 6 or lower.

Under the FB vector rules you're only guaranteed to hit thrust-5 or
slower ships; thrust-6 can still get away (full main thrust + full
lateral thrust > 6 mu) :-/

> Here, try this on, in cinematic I am going against someone that
> will start within 24" and have speed 5.

Sure. Unfortunately my opponents usually fly at speed 20+ (OK, 14-20
with the thrust-2 barges) instead of being immobile, which makes this
example look like someones' wet dream in my eyes -/ (Um, yes - I'm an
anorak, at least mentally. Didn't you know? <G>)

I've seen a target moving at less than speed 8 only once the last year,
and that was a space station...

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: AARS Next: Re: Vector Movement