Prev: [DSII] Damage chart? Next: St. Jon the Mind Controller

Time Scales and Real-Time FT (was Re: [OT sorta} SFC?)

From: Jerry Han <jhan@c...>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:25:56 -0400
Subject: Time Scales and Real-Time FT (was Re: [OT sorta} SFC?)

Chris Lowrey wrote:
> One of the things I find most ridiculous is the idea that for
realistic
> control - for a wargame to be truly realistic - it must be a turned
based
> game so you can manage all the minutiae to the Nth degree (something
of an
> elitist wargamer attitude).  Real combat occurs in real time, with
> time-sensitive decisions affecting real lives.

Agreed.  However, I prefer turn-based gaming, especially at the
larger scales.

The problem is that for most wargame scales the general/commander at the
real battle had days, if not months, to analyze and make a decision.
In real-time, I've got ten seconds to figure out if I want to move an
armoured division from point A to point B.  That isn't realistic.

For 'simulators' and lower scale games (e.g. close combat), real time
makes
sense.	When you're pushing around panzer brigades and the like,
turn-based
is much better.

In any event, this is pretty moot; I've always assumed any FT port to
the
computer would be Turn Based, to take advantage of the mechanics already
in place.

(Actually, that would also be neat:  fight the FT universe at the
strategic level.  "The Stars Are Falling:  The Solar Wars: 2137-2176"
not a campaign style game, but moving around Task Forces and Brigades,
and doing the full economic thing.  Hmmm.)

J.

--
/ Jerry Han -  CANOE Canada - jhan@canoe.ca -
http://people.canoe.ca/jhan \

Prev: [DSII] Damage chart? Next: St. Jon the Mind Controller