Prev: Re: GenCon: Aieeee! Next: [FT] GZGECC (was: GenCon: Aieeee!)

RE: [OT] Website formatting Q. [CLEAN STAMP]

From: "Rick Rutherford" <rick@e...>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:42:20 -0400
Subject: RE: [OT] Website formatting Q. [CLEAN STAMP]

On 8/10/99 2:17 AM, Brian Burger wrote:

> I can do the following:
> A - leave it....
> B - put most of it into double columns....
> C - split it off onto several seperate pages by subject....
> Opinions, please - A, B, C or some D I haven't considered?

When I was at the University of Maryland, I had a friend who was working
in the Human-Computer Interaction Lab (it sounds funny, but it's
actually
a hot topic in CS right now). She performed a series of experiments
which
ended up showing that,

1) Most people prefer "shallow" web sites to "deep" ones
(i.e. the fewer levels of links to follow, the better), and

2) No matter how easy it might seem to add functionality to a web page
(i.e. add a plug-in, upgrade software, edit a configuration, or
organize things by subject), most people are not going to understand
how it works.

In these cases, "most people" covers the general public, not the small
section of computer-literate people on our mailing list, so if you'd
prefer to organize things by subject I think we can figure it out. :)

--
Rick Rutherford
I apologize in advance for the junk appended to this message

[INFO] -- Virus Manager:
This email message and any attachments were scanned by the WorldSecure
Server that protects Electronic Systems and it's customers. No Viruses
were detected in this message.

======

Prev: Re: GenCon: Aieeee! Next: [FT] GZGECC (was: GenCon: Aieeee!)