Prev: Re: [OT] The Ythri Next: Re: [FT] Vector Move question

Re: [OT] The Ythri

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 19:48:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] The Ythri

	My goodness! What a blast from the past.  I drew that sucker
	back when I was in high school, and I forgot all about it.
	(My copy of the Ythri has the black and white cover)

	The three blue things with green contrails are carrier
spacecraft
	dropping fighters onto the planet.

	There is a largish moon overhead.

	In sillouette on the gold cross shaped star is a black sphere
	with a line through it.  That's the orbital fortress.

	The three blobs are spherical dreadnoughts.  The red lines
	are the ship's *contrails*, not their weapons.

	What is happening is the dreadnoughts were travelling from
	the right to the left.	First their contrails are perfectly
	straight.  Then the large green beam from the enemy
	orbital fortress induces the huge orange explosion, which
	the hapless dreadnoughts fly through. They pop out on
	the other side of the explosion (you will note that
	their contrails are now corkscrewy from the turbulence).

	The Ythri is based on Poul Anderson's novel THE PEOPLE OF
	THE WIND.  It depicts the Terran Empire's planetary assault
	on the Ythri homeworld (Avalon).

little of it anyway. (The Tick) wrote:

> > A month or so ago a side topic of a thread came up about an old
> > Metagaming Concepts game called "The Ythri". After I mentioned
> > that I had a copy of the game two people asked me (one private,
> > one on the list) if it would be possible for me to scan the cover
> > of the game in. I finally was able to arrange this and said cover
> > image is now viewable at:
> >
> >	http://scivax.stsci.edu/~kochte/ythri.jpg
>
> it looks rather good. now can anyone explain to me what it depicts?
>
> it looks like a moon (in the "that's no moon ..." vein) above a planet
> (possibly the Earth), with a trio of spacecraft with
green-trail-making