Prev: "Combat Walkers" Next: Re: FT:hex grid, Wave Guns

Re: FT: hex grid, Wave Guns

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 03:51:35 -0400
Subject: Re: FT: hex grid, Wave Guns

Glen Bailey wrote:

> Anyone else play FT on a hex grid playing area?  We have been, it
> takes some explaining about hex spine movement but it works well.
> We made a house rule that if your movement ends on a hex spine
> then shift to the hex forward and to the right.  Someone wanted
> to have the option of choosing which hex but that seems unfair
> to me since no other position has this advantage.  Another wanted
> to alternate left and right, but then that requires keeping track
> and I prefer to keep bookkeeping to a minimum.  Any thoughts?
>
> Then I fired a Wave Gun on the hex grid.  But a two inch diameter
> is not quite the same as two hexes.  When facing a hexside then
> what 2 of 3 hexes does the wave gun travel?  Firer's choice?
> When facing a hex spine the first hex of travel is easy (a hex
> on either side) but the second hex of travel has a hex in the
> middle and one to either side.  So which one of those is
> the wave gun in?  Use the same method as ships and go to the one
> on the right?.  Any suggestions?
>
> Glen

I have.  All I did, was assume that 1 hex was 2" of
movement/range/whatever.  The Ships allways faced one of the hex sides.
Otherwise movement was like "Triplanetary" (ie, you had a "velocity
counter" for each ship, that showed which hex the ship would be in, if
it didn't maneuver.  the velocity counter could be moved 1 hex in any
direction for each point of thrust.  To keep things simple, I made the
ships maneuver for free (only to keep the velocity counter in the ship's
forward arc.)

I didn't get around to trying wave guns on it though.  Seemed to work ok
otherwise.

Donald Hosford

Prev: "Combat Walkers" Next: Re: FT:hex grid, Wave Guns