Prev: Re: FMA Combat Movement Next: RE: [FT] Star Destroyer

RE: [FT] Star Destroyer

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:08:50 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] Star Destroyer

> Someone on the list was mentioning running a game with an
> Imperial Star Destroyer.  I was just wondering what was
> being used for stats.

That could be me, ISDs are in my Sci-Fi Crossover game at GenCon

> A rough of what I have been thinking was:
>
> 12 fighter squadrons (the reference says 72 fighters)
> 8xclass 3 beams (the ref says 8 heavy cannons).
> 2xshields
>
> various "defensive" systems, PDS's and type 1 beams.
>
> This makes for a rather large and impressive ship, and 12
> squads of fighters would give a little of the imagery from
> the movies of many fighters coming at you.

Like John Leary, posted, I have 12 fighters per squadron but they go pop
so
easily and have little pea-shooter guns so I treat each squadron of 12
just
like a normal squadron of 6.  Here are the stats for the classic
Imperial I
Class of Star Destroyers (Victory class SDs are smaller, and there is a
version II for each with modified weapons layouts.)

Imperial I Class Star Destroyer
Mass 300
Cost 1029 (+114 for fighters)
Average Hull (90)
Armour 10 Points
Thrust 3
FTL
4 Fire Controls
Level 1 Screens
4 3-arc Class 3 Beam Batteries (2xF/FP/AP, 2xF/FS/AS)
4 3-arc Class 2 Beam Batteries (2xFP, 2xFS)
8 3-arc Ion Cannons (same mass, cost, arcs as a Class 2) (4xFP, 4xFS)
4 PDS
6 Fighter Bays (4 Normal, 1 Interceptor, 1 Attack)

The Ion Cannons and fighters use some special rules to reflect their
abilities but otherwise Fleet Book rules are used.  The Ion Cannon rules
were posted a while ago when that topic was hot and should be in the
archives.  I've seen several other conversions for the Star Destroyers
FT, all equally valid.	This is just my take on them for they type of
game I
want to run.

On the imagery of the masses of fighters attacking, I think I have that
handled.  I just finished the detail painting on 24 bases of fighters
for
the Imperials (thanks Brigade) The solar panels on the regular Ties are
bear to detail but a micron pen saved me lots of time.

If you want my versions of the other Star Destroyers, just ask.  After
GenCon I hope to find a place to put of the finalized ship control
sheets I
made for the game.

Dean

Prev: Re: FMA Combat Movement Next: RE: [FT] Star Destroyer