Prev: RE: SMR arcs Next: Calm in battle

Re: Marksmanship

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:32:58 -0400
Subject: Re: Marksmanship

I hate to say it but I think you guys are thinking a bit too hard here.
There's a
little bit too much denigration of infantry rifle fire going on. Not to
take away
from the correct assumption that platoons build their bases of firepower
around
MGs etc, but the rifle plays a vital role even today.  Those on the list
that
have spent five minutes in the infantry can attest to that. To imply
that rifle
fire is ineffective outside of point blank range is ridiculous. However
it's
effectiveness should be a determind by troop quaity. Particularly in a
skirmish
level game like this the ranges will more or less be within acceptable
distances
(BTW I like the close medium long range band idea someone through out
there.)

"Maybe so, but who designed and adopted the first modern assault rifles
with
under 200 meter ranges in mind?"

And regarding modern assault rifles, such as the AK, M16, FAMAS, SA80
(fired them
all extensively), sure they are designed for closer in work particularly
on
burst/auto, but all are quite capable of hitting targets much farther
out, are
designed to, and the soldiers are trained to. When people start throwing
"well in
this or that battle, average enagement range is only X meters", maybe
the
question should be asked: "what is the average visibility range by the
terrain?"
If most of the time you don't even see the enemy until 100 meters or
less out due
to terrain visibilty constrictions, then that is more a limiter on rifle
effectiveness than the weapon itself OR the guy using it. Wargamers are
notorious
for having these billiard ball clear tables interspersed with LOS
obstacles and
rarley other LOS factors like smog, haze or just  natural folds and
vegetation in
openb terrain. If you wnat to limit rifle fire you'd be more realistic
to do it
that way! <grin>.

Los