Prev: Re: Marksmanship Next: RE: SMR arcs

RE: [OFFICIAL] FMA range thoughts....

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:08:20 +0100
Subject: RE: [OFFICIAL] FMA range thoughts....

>Personally , I prefer just the 3 range bands (CLOSE, MEDIUM and LONG),
but
>then
>I'm a bit of a traditionalist myself....

Well, this is the big question..... I'm fairly ambivalent about it
myself,
I like the quality/range relationship version for realism's sake, but I
still have a few reservations about simplicity and playability. Most of
the
comments so far seem to point to this as the system of choice for the
list
members, however, so it looks like we're drifting that way....

>This does mean that you can have some weapons that drop off on
Firepower
>quickly
>compared to others, which I like.

You'll note from the draft that some weapons (machine pistols, for
instance) drop D12/D8/D4 rather than (say) D10/D8/D6. I think this
covers
that sort of weapon to a reasonable degree.

>What about accuracy ratings for shotguns (those wretched shotguns !!)?
>
>Also how about an accuracy of 0.75 for a Heavy Pistol compared to 0.5
for a
>Light Pistol?
>
>I think its Ok to have accuracy ratings of 0.5, 0.75, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5
etc
>for "do it in your head" calculations.
>If you have the unusual ratings like 0.9 then its probably better to
>calculate the range bands before the game and
>write them down on the squad data sheet.

I've got to disagree here, Mike - I think that halving and doubling are
generally OK for on-the-fly calculations for even the
arithmetically-challenged, but I don't want to expect players to start
doing  x 0.75 and x 1.5 calculations just for stuff like ranges.

Jon (GZG)