Prev: [URL,FT] Full Thrust Ship Registry Updated Next: Re: Fighters

Re: Affectiveness of FSE BDN?

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 12:12:08 +1000
Subject: Re: Affectiveness of FSE BDN?

Regarding the FSE in general:

I've found the FSE to be the least effective fleet in single battles.
Yet I suspect they'd be very good in a campaign.

The reason is that an FSE fleet comes in, shoots off its SMLs (doing at
least SOME damage to the enemy, even if only taking out a slew of Banzai
Jamming Frigates) then.... what?

In a normal out-of-strategic-context battle, it must then fight against
a slightly reduced enemy fleet, with a drastic inferiority in beam
weapons. The usual outcome is a loss for the FSE.

In a strategic context, the FSE just departs the area, and comes back
again, and again, and again until the opposition has run out of
Frigates, and the 7+ SMLs start hitting BCs instead of FFs. In which
case the FSE starts winning.

As regards effectiveness of SMLs, I normally get an 80%+ yield, ie about
80% of the SMLs actually launched end up targetting SOMETHING. Usually
though it's one of the 3-4 FFs that are around each enemy vessel they
care about. The occasional CA or CL goes west, but not often. I do
slightly better against NSL, but only slightly.
--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: [URL,FT] Full Thrust Ship Registry Updated Next: Re: Fighters