Prev: Re: Updated Electronic Warfare Rules Next: Re: FT: fighters in cargo

Re: Mines (small rant)

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 10:14:27 -0700
Subject: Re: Mines (small rant)

Laserlight wrote:

> >Izenberg, Noam wrote:
> >
> >> <rant>
> >> I _hate_ mines as a space combat concept.
> >> </rant>
>
> It kind of depends on where you're putting them.  You don't drop mines
at
> random all over the ocean.  You drop them outside harbors, or in
straits
> (around planets, or near jump points).

It would be cheaper and more effective to build warships to defend the
location.   consider the number of mines it will take to destroy a
battleship squadron of two ships, lay them out in a straight line 6
inches apart, this is the depth of the minefield.   Now calculate
the surface area of each of the spheres, divide by the area covered
by each mine, and you have the number of mines in each layer.
Add all the layers together and you have the number of mines
you must buy to build the minefield.   Say that 5% of the mines
become inactive each year, plus the cost of the minelayers and
minesweepers to maintain the field, we are now in the range of
having a fleet of 20 or more superdreadnoughts parked at the planet
full time for the same cost.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Updated Electronic Warfare Rules Next: Re: FT: fighters in cargo