Prev: Re: balancing Fighters and different SM loads Next: Re: Gencon (United Kingdom)

SLAM for SG2

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 11:51:39 -0400
Subject: SLAM for SG2

Adrian wrote:

>Fires as Crew Quality vs. Raw Range die.
>

>MAJOR hit means double impact.

Question - if your firing action is Quality vs. Range die, then you're
rolling 1 die vs. 1 die.  How do you get a major hit (which is when
BOTH
firing dice beat the defense die)?

** Answer: Good question! I'm not sure what I was thinking there. I'd
kind of like the possibility of a major hit to give the AT rounds a
chance to take out an AFV more easily, but one die will not a major
impact produce as you've noted. Add to which that only would tell you
you've hit the area (MPI) you were shooting at. Then lay down the
template to see what gets attacked. If it is in the area, it gets
attacked.

Hmm. I guess that one line could be turfed. I find it interesting
though - assume vehicles have equal armour all over (I'm still not
sure this is true, but assume it is given the threat from Overhead
attack missiles etc). Then why wouldn't you make your bomblets more
powerful? Or make more than one attack a target? (Answer: SG2 is an
infantry game....).

SLAM Variant #1:
Beaten zones remain as stated. Roll size class attacks on any vehicle
caught in the area. That is, for a SLAM/3, roll 3 attacks. For a
SLAM/5, roll 5. This represents the density of projectiles.

SLAM Variant #2.
Roll size attacks vs. vehicle under template, but all SLAM templates
are 3"x5". This means more attacks due to more projectiles in the same
area.

SLAM Variant #3.
Larger munitions. This specifically applies to AT.
Conventional AT rolls D12x2 vs. armour. Improved AT might roll D12x3,
but for size class of sheaf be treated as one smaller. ie a SLAM/4
firing improved AT might have the sheaf of a SLAM/3.

Just some ideas.

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: balancing Fighters and different SM loads Next: Re: Gencon (United Kingdom)