Prev: Re: Fighters Next: Re: Another Camoflage Question

Re: Another Camoflage Question

From: Rob Paul <rpaul@w...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:33:01 +0000
Subject: Re: Another Camoflage Question

At 19:19 28/06/99 EDT, you wrote:

><<
> How much do cammo schemes vary between different vehicles in the same
> force?  And by same force, I mean tanks that are deployed
side-by-side, not
> just in the same army.  Would in be unheard of to have some tanks in
cammo,
> and some in just a base coat?
>  >>
>Historically, it has depended on the what was available to paint the
vehicles
>with and where the painting was being done. WWII German armor cammo
paint
SNIP

>Perry

	The early WW2 French had a huge range of camouflage schemes,
several
unique to particular types of vehicle, and also in some cases had the
astonishing practice of a unique scheme or variation for
platoon/company/batallion command tanks!

	In the latter part of WW2, the British Army tended to have
home-produced equipment in Khaki Drab, and lend-lease stuff in US Olive
Drab.  I would thing that might lead to e.g. Motor Batallions with O.D.
half-tracks and K.D. Universal Carriers.  Early in the war, British tank
units in France used mixtures of tank types, sometimes with different
variants of the official scheme on different types.

	A good source of unfamiliar schemes is "Blitzkrieg:  Armour,
camouflage and markings" by Steven J Zaloga.

Rob

"Rob Paul

Dept of Zoology
Oxford University
South Parks Road
Oxford
(01865) 271124
"Auld an' bald!"
"

Prev: Re: Fighters Next: Re: Another Camoflage Question