Prev: RE: [SG2]Questions Next: small vs large ships

PT boats & Battle Riders

From: Glen Bailey <Glen.Bailey@s...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:35:32 -0400
Subject: PT boats & Battle Riders

I tried making "PT boats" and Battle Riders (idea from Traveller) but
the FTL drive and fuel requirements are such a small percentage of a
ship's mass that it was easier to add the FTL to each ship.
Traveller's
jump drive engine was small but expensive while the fuel requirements
were tremendous but cheap.  I made a lot of battle riders with a
Jump-1
engine so it had the capability of FTL travel but they rode on Jump-3
or Jump-4 carriers/tenders for fast deployment (each jump number meant
that the vessel could "jump" 1 parsec, all jumps took 1 week no matter
the distance).	Fuel became an important part of logistics.  I tried
to add some fuel rules to FT for a campaign but all I heard was
complaints about "changing the system".

A suggestion for FT3: include optional rules for different FTL
drives so a campaign designer can say "I'm using this optional rule"
without hearing "if it ain't in THE book...".  Yes, I know it says
you can change anything you want but some people get so upset about
changing the "gospel" rules.  *sigh*

Glen "I've given up trying to run a space campaign" Bailey

Prev: RE: [SG2]Questions Next: small vs large ships