Prev: Re: Now I'm REALLY frightened... Next: Re: OGRE stuff

Re: OGRE stuff

From: Kenneth Winland <kwinland@c...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:13:51 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: OGRE stuff

	Howdy!

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, John Kovalic wrote:

> I get the idea from Steve Jackson that the new Ogre boxed set, with
plastic
> figs, will be sooner rather than later. But you're not cleared for
that.
> Fnord.

	Steve has been saying that for 4+ years.  The closest he came to
producing plastics for OGRE was via a Hong Kong/Taiwan manufacturer
about
3 years ago.  Fell through because even with the cheap labour and
facilities, plastics were too expensive.  Soldiers and Swords were going
to make metal minis about 4 or so years ago... before they went under.
Richard (the OGRE line editor) was shopping around for a new
manufacturer
(and came VERY close) when Steve decided to go with plastics.  Richard
did
3-D models for production and contacts were made.... until Steve got
cold
feet about the prices (COMPLETELY understandable; an OGRE MkV mold would
have been $20,000(US)+...!)

> Actually, given the lack of availability of OGRES figs, I was
wondering if
> GZG had ever considered producing giant cyber tanks for DSII. I mean,
even
> if SJG does eventually do them again, there are *lots* of countries
> (Israel, Japan, China) that have OGRES beyond the North American
Combine
> and the Paneuropneans. Lots of room for different types of OGRES...uh,
> mean GZG Cybertanks...on the table...

	Masters were made for the Chinese and Japanese OGRE cybertanks
(and you could play withe them back at GenCon '95 and '96).  Simtac
makes
some nice large vehicles tht could easily pass for cybertanks.

	Of course, based on their queality track record, I am sure GZG
would produce some *keen* designs! :)

	Ken

Prev: Re: Now I'm REALLY frightened... Next: Re: OGRE stuff