Prev: Re: [FT] FSE-tactics Next: Re: [FT] Hull boxes & DCPs

Re: [FT] FSE-tactics

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 12:14:11 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] FSE-tactics

G'day,

I run an FSE fleet with some success (more if me dice didn't always turn
up
ones!!!). Basically I have two groups in my fleet the fast attack wing
and
the moderately fast attack wing ;)

The first group are those little guys with the submunitions pack which
go
pop when you look at them sternly. They either fly straight in at high
speed (40-60) and go bang (then pop) or sit behind the main fleet until
they see and opening and scoot in (and go bang then pop).

The second group is the main fleet (DH/CLs up). These usually go about
20-25 and sweep out an arc around/past the other fleet trying to stay
just
on 20-24" the whole way. The only time I deviate from this is if we're
not
starting with fighters launched then I hang back until the fighters are
out
and then we sweep by. I always coordinate my fighter-SM attacks with the
fighters mobbing the ADFC ships and the SMs heading for the big ships.
This
works really well (when I don't roll ones). By the way I usually take a
mix
of Interceptor, attack and heavy fighters and that seems to work well. I
also (on occassion) drop in the odd extended range SM just to keep
people
on their toes.

As others have already said, unless the odds are heavily stacked in your
favour, DO NOT stick around after you SMs have run out or you'll be
butchered.

As to placing the SMs, if you've never played the guy before (or you're
new
to the FSE) place them in arcs/nets, but once you've played for a while
I'd
put them in stacks as the killing power is much higher then and there's
less wastage (mind you, keep in mind I only play vector movement so this
is
probably not true of cinematic). You'll get to the point we're you can
pick
we're the BB/SDN etc is going to end and miss the pesky CTs its
surrounded by.

One more thing we use the 6" SM range even though we use vector
movement.
We did use the 3" range for ages (and I was even starting to be able to
do
my drops with little wastage), but then the other guys bought their
missle
boats (ESU/NSL) and found out how hard it was, complained that their
beams
didn't miss that often and said use the 6" rule always. Fine with me ;)

Hope that helped.

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [FT] FSE-tactics Next: Re: [FT] Hull boxes & DCPs