Prev: Re: [FT] FSE-tactics Next: Re: Bad fighters

Re: [FT] FSE-tactics

From: -MWS- <Hauptman@c...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 12:55:57 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] FSE-tactics

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Peter Forsythe wrote:
> The problem with the FSE is that manouvering to stay just inside of 24

> inches takes a bit of practice.  After the last game we played we
discovered
> that the FSE is probable most dangerous when retreating (hmmm :)
>
> This allows the FSE to hang 20-24 inches in front of the on-comming
fleet
> and SM them to death.  If the attacking fleet is NSL the FSE seems to
be at
> their best as they can backup as fast as most heavy NSL ships can
advance.

Hmmm - I'm not sure I follow you here.	The firing arc of the SMLs are
normally in the front 180 arc, so the only practical way of firing to
the rear
when retreating is to use the vector movement rules.  Using vector
movement
halves your SM "lock" range down to 3 MU, making it much easier to miss.

If you are using the standard (Cinematic) movement rules, you can't "go
in
reverse", so your trailing opponent will be in your rear arc blind spot.

> Additionally the first and possibly second salvos should be used
against the
> escort ships not the capitals.  Escorts with ADFC should be targeted
first,
> however, any light ship that can be stationed just beside a capital is

> capable of soaking all SMs before they get to the capital.  Very
> annoying..."Whadda ya mean all 8 salvos hit your @#$king destroyer?  I
was
> gunning for the Battleship!"

[chuckle]  I suspect that most FSE players will *not* enjoy facing
K'rathri
capital ships - virtually every one of them is ADFC equipped.  Yes, one
of my
regular opponents is fighter happy, why do you ask? <G>

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
  email: hauptman@sfcmd.com -or- hauptman@concentric.net
       The Gear Locker:  http://www.sfcmd.com/HeavyGear/
	   Full Thrust:  http://www.sfcmd.com/fullthrust/

 Finagle's Law:
   The perversity of the Universe tends towards the maximum.

Prev: Re: [FT] FSE-tactics Next: Re: Bad fighters