Prev: Re: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games... Next: Re: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games...

Re: OT: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games...

From: Michael Sarno <atomicat@g...>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:59:21 -0400
Subject: Re: OT: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games...

"Mark A. Siefert" wrote:

> Hello:
>	  I'm seriously thinking getting back into role-playing,
particularly a
> hard sci-fi RPG.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a good system.
> have narrowed it down to a few likely candidates:
>
>	  Alternity
>	  GURPS (Either Space or Traveller)
>	  Marc Miller's Traveller
>
>	  I am looking of a system that is simple and isn't bogged down
with over
> mechanics.  Does anyone have any suggestions.

    On first glance, most people miss the fact that GURPS isn't really a
game
system, but rather a meta-system.  It helps you to create the game
system that you
want to play.  On that strength, I'd have to recommend it for the type
of game that
you want to play.  Realistically, what someone else considers hard
sci-fi, you may
consider to be high fantasy, and vice versa.  While the GURPS Basic Set
allows you
to create the game mechanics that you prefer, GURPS Space allows you to
create the
setting in which your characters are to be placed.  I'd also recommend
GURPS
Terradyne, long out of print but well worth the effort to find.

-Michael

--
Michael Sarno

http://www.geocities.com/~atomicat
Check out my updated Charlie Company web pages!
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"No nation should put the burden of war
 on its military forces alone."
 -General William C. Westmoreland,
		  US Army, retired

Prev: Re: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games... Next: Re: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games...