Prev: Re: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games... Next: Re: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games...

Re: OT: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games...

From: Ndege Diamond <nezach@e...>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 20:51:43 -0700
Subject: Re: OT: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games...

At 09:50 PM 6/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello:
>	I'm seriously thinking getting back into role-playing,
particularly a
>hard sci-fi RPG.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a good system.  I
>have narrowed it down to a few likely candidates:
>
>	Alternity

I borrowed this and looked it over for a couple of days.  Looked like a
cross between Star Frontiers & D&D.  If you don't mind that it could be
your thing.  Had a glossy layout and pretty art too.  I think there is
going to be a Starcraft add on so you can table top rollplay a computer
game.

>	GURPS (Either Space or Traveller)

GURPS can seem a bit heavy on the mechanics looking at it the first
time.
If you don't mind mixing and matching (and outright dropping) rules it
is
fine.  It is a point based system which some people seem to have a
problem
with.  SJG supports it pretty well. Lay out and artwork is hit and miss.
You can get GURPS Lite in PDF format free at
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/ and see if it is for you.  There is
going to be a GURPS Myth book... hmmm, I am seeing a trend.

I'm still waiting for GURPS Ogre.

>	Marc Miller's Traveller

I have heard bad things about the quality control on the books in this
game.  I don't know if it is even supported anymore.  Never bothered to
even look at it though.  I heard a

To be semi on topic: has anyone ever RPGed in the "Tuffleyverse"?

Ndege Diamond

Ndege Diamond

Prev: Re: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games... Next: Re: Hard Sci-Fi Role Playing Games...