Prev: Re: HKP's (was....] Next: [SGII] FS/FT: Sale or Trade - 25mm Kryomek aliens and marines for sale

Re: Ah, Stealth

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:11:44 -0400
Subject: Re: Ah, Stealth

>In a nutshell,the stealth hull masses the same as partialor full
>streamlining, and costs 3pts/mass. Stealth 1 reduces the effective
range
>of enemy weapons by 1/4. Stealth 2 reduces the range by 1/3. There are
various PSB
>reasons available to this. I prefer that that the combination of hull
>materilas and construction make the ship harder to detect via sensors
and
>arder to lock onto with weapons, somewhat analogous to the stealth
>planesof today. Since there has been no consensus sensor rule system
yet,
>the effect of the stealth hull on detection and such has not been
worked
>up. A natural extension, though, would be to decrease effective sensor
>range on steath ships by 1/4 or 1/3 accordingly.

I'm not happy with this for 2 reasons:
a) I don't see stealth as defeating fire control. just sensors.  They
aren't
the same thing.
b) Reducing range by a proportion actually penalizes the more powerful
sensors more.

My suggestion (based on Schoon's rules, which I am hacking) is to have
sensor capability by range,
eg the Basic Sensor Package might detect (in passive mode):
0-24" : read original enemy SSD
24-48" determine enemy size & civilian/military
48"-72": unidentified bogey
72" + : no trace

Stealth-1 might reduce information by one range band; Active mode
sensors
would increase it by one band.	Therefore a Stealth-2 ship going up
against
a Basic Sensor in Active mode  at 25" would be a UFO; under 24" would
mean
the Stealth ship's mass could be determined.

Prev: Re: HKP's (was....] Next: [SGII] FS/FT: Sale or Trade - 25mm Kryomek aliens and marines for sale