Prev: Re: Full Thrust and PBEM Next: [FT] Re: Showdown (was Re: Full Thrust and PBEM)

Re: Computer moderated PBeM for Full Thrust ideas

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 19:26:57 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Computer moderated PBeM for Full Thrust ideas

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Jon Davis wrote:

> I'd be interested in working on this and contributing to it.

me too.

an incremental approach is definitely the way to go - start with
some nice, simple things like data structures for ships, fleets, etc,
then
add stuff to read and write various file formats (like FTPF), then some
code to track low-level orders ("fire battery a at ship x"), then some
stuff to execute orders and track results, then stuff to generate
low-level orders based on high-level orders (with conditionals and so
on),
then code to handle email, etc.

if we do it this way, we'd definitely be able to get something done,
even
if it's just an FTPF parser. i seem to recall hearing there is an "ft
computer" list - would this be an appropriate place for this?

incidentally, my vote goes for java for this job. it's portable, it's
strong enough, and i know it (number one reason!).

tom

Prev: Re: Full Thrust and PBEM Next: [FT] Re: Showdown (was Re: Full Thrust and PBEM)