Prev: Re: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.] Next: Re: SG questions (DSII turn length)

Re: SG questions

From: Scott Spieker <scspieker@n...>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 12:04:44 -0400
Subject: Re: SG questions

> Timothy Pricer wrote:

<snip>

> > Can GMS launchers be fired at dispersed targets?
>
> >From what I recall from the discussion a few months back, no.
> Except we like to allow it in our games. If you can aim a missile
> at a tank, you can aim it at the ground. . .
>
> >	If so do you treat it like a support weapon except that it has
to be
> >	fired separately?
>
> Seeing that it isn't covered in the rules, this makes sense. d8
> for impact, as per the rules on p.40

<snip>

	Now, I see a problem with allowing GMSs to fire at non-hard
targets.
Below is why, and I do look forward to exploring this topic further:

	1) GMSs or any other AT type missile system is designed to do a
specific job - kill tanks!
	2) The specific nature of missile systems is to use shaped
charges.

	A little explanation on these two items:  The specific job of
the
missile system is to destroy an armored target.  To do that the missile
must first penetrate the armor using it's impact force to bore a tiny
hole in the armor before the 'real' warhead enters though that little
hole.
	The missiles are not equipped with 'high explosive' type
wareheads,
which would then have an effect on dispersed targets, but since the
charge is shaped and designed to penetrate armor, you will not be
getting an explosion out of them that would effect combatants near the
target point.  If that missile was targeted at a person, even wearing
power armor, you looking at nuking that one person and that is it.

	The whole idea behind armor killers is to get enough shrapnel
inside
the turret or other compartment to detonate the munitions inside the
armor.	That will dampen the crew's day every time.

	If you were to have choosable loads for the same delivery
system, then
you may be talking a different game then. But allowing a missile system
to target the ground near a figure and using that as a 'blast point'
then using the same missiles to fire at hard targets is flat out wrong.
You should at the very least spend an action to load the 'type' of round
into the weapon, then if a hard target presents itself when there is an
HE type round loaded - then 'Oh well...'.

That's my $.02 on the subject.

Scott

Prev: Re: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.] Next: Re: SG questions (DSII turn length)