Prev: Re: Locating minis Next: Re: Locating minis

Re: [OT] Heavy Gear minis (was Re: Locating minis)

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 14:48:21 GMT
Subject: Re: [OT] Heavy Gear minis (was Re: Locating minis)

On Sat, 01 May 1999 08:34:15 -0400, Aaron Teske <ateske@HICom.net>
wrote:

>It wasn't just small bits; sometimes it was an arm, say... okay, that's
not
>that large, but it is reasonably obvious.

True. I only bought the boxed sets. I had them sitting for a year then
started
putting them together when I heard that the whole line was going to be
killed.

>The other problem with RAFM: too small a production facility to produce
>enough minis for all their lines, but not enough capital to improve the
>facility!  Rather a tough bind....

I know they moved a couple of years ago. I think their new facility is
bigger.

>Obviously, DP9 has since changed *that* tune.	(Though that's actually
the
>first I've heard of the above.  Heh.  Learn something new every day.
^_^ )

That was straight from RAFM. They warned them about the complexity and
were
pushed anyway. In my business, if someone explains the risk and you blow
it
off, YOU have taken responsibility for it.

What bugs me is that DP9 started to point fingers at RAFM and yell
"their
fault!" Okay, most of it was with regard to production problems...
however, it
was a JOINT line. You get together to correct the problem and do "damage
control". If they had done that, everything would have worked out fine
in the
end.

>I don't think it was as early as '96, but you could get 'em early... I
>ordered one direct from RAFM well before they were officially released.

Okay, it would have been GenCon 97 when they were available...

>Not true -- or, at least, not the way you make it sound.  (A lot of us
>aren't *that* rabid, for one. ^_- )  DP9 *did* ask the mailing list
what
>scale they wanted gears in, well before they canned RAFM's license.

Now this is the funny part. You say, "Not true." I believe you. I wasn't
on
the list. I got THAT impression from an e-mail I received from DP9 when
complained on Usenet about the scale change.

They told ME that the majority of the players wanted a 1/144 scale game.
didn't realize that the majority wanted Microarmour (1/285 to 1/300).

Hell, I would have bought the new figures if it was in Microarmour. I
wish I
still had that e-mail message from DP9. They really did make it sound as
though they were just abiding by the wishes of the fan base. I didn't
realize
it was a decision to distance themselves from the RAFM figures.

By the way, during this process of changing scales, RAFM was still not
informed that they would NOT get the new license...

>Do the figs sell?  In some places.  Especially Canada,
>actually, since the minis have the same price in Canadian dollars as in
US
>dollars.

I laughed at this! Maybe they sell them at Silver Snail (doubtful) or
Sci-Fi
World (maybe) but they aren't selling in the other game stores in
Toronto!
There are probably pockets of HG fans who like them and buy them. They
aren't
around here, though...

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: Locating minis Next: Re: Locating minis