Prev: Re: [FT]United Nations? Next: Combat Engineer game

Re: [FT]United Nations?

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 20:24:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT]United Nations?

Donald Hosford wrote:

> This leaves me with a question...If everyone is paying their dues, the
> budget is still overunning, the US is "making payments far in excess
of
> its dues" -- How is it that we (the US) still have to pay
> the vast remaining amount?  Doesn't seem the slightest bit fair...

You've misunderstood the quote, I think:

>> [the USA] had contributed an amount exceeding its assessed
contribution
>> for 1998, the amount it still owed represented 76 per cent of all
unpaid
>> regular budget assessments at the end of 1998."

In 1998, the US paid more than it's annual contribution.

They still owe money from _previous_ contributions.

Of the money owed to the UN from previous years, 76% of that is unpaid
US
dues. The remaining 24% is other nation's unpaid dues. Probably nations
like Serbia, Congo/Zimbabwe, etc. Isn't it nice that the US is in such
august company?

In other words, the US has been shorting the UN for years. Being a bit
more generous in 1998 is nice, but they still owe the cash from all
those
previous shortings!

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)			-DS2/SG2/FR!/HOTT-
      - http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/games.html -
-SciFi & Fantasy Wargaming House Rules, Photos, GWAutobasher, & more-

Prev: Re: [FT]United Nations? Next: Combat Engineer game