Prev: Re: Jungle Trees Next: Re: Jungle Trees

Re:FH Machine People

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:09:30 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re:FH Machine People

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Michael Llaneza wrote:

> There is a whole sub-genre of computer games that involve programming
> robots. Most are called something along the lines of "Robot War."

programming robots as in writing code to control (simulated) metal
soldiers? cool. i've done a tiny bit on football players (that's
football
as in soccer), but never soldiers. well, it was a civillian lab ...

and then there's always CoreWars - why bother with physical robots when
your programs can just slog it out byte-to-byte in a computer's memory?

> If
> someone (me ?) really feels like, I recall a similar system to the one
> quoted below in one of the Cadet manuals for SFB.

there was something similar for robots in some version of wh40k. the
programs were essentially some sort of flowchart, and there were rules
about how the sequence could branch. there were no jumps or loops, until
we added them. or, you could just shell out 20 more points for a
"cortex"
and play the droid as a regular character. i remember writing a chart
which took up a couple of pages and played 40k better than i did most of
the time ...

Tom

Prev: Re: Jungle Trees Next: Re: Jungle Trees