Prev: Other Solar Sys maps Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 Next: [SG2]: GSM/P Question

Re: Other Solar Sys maps Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 14:29:09 -0500
Subject: Re: Other Solar Sys maps Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> ***
> Ah, an abstraction...How big was the map?
>
> I don't think I have ever heard of DS....Is it a new game, or an old
out of
> print one?
> ***
>
> I'm assuming it's the long OOP Dark Stars by Simulations Canada. I've
a copy at
> home,
> though I didn't recall the display. Yet another box to dig out of the
basement.
> *shudder*
>
> For completeness, I'll mention Battletech's Aerospace hex map with lil
arrows
> pointing
> out the grav well, though it wasn't the 'area' system we've been
discussing, and
> SPI's
> BattleFleet Mars, though my recollection is the planetary orbits only
went to
> Jupiter.
> We've already discussed Starfire's system.
>
> Good systems, but more complicated than I was going for, and I was the
fellow
> that
> wanted slightly less grainy dirt combat.
>
> I wish I were up to posting to the rec. hierarchy again. There's a
discussion of
> 3-D
> representation, and BFM had that 'interesting' system, with 5 counters
per
> ship/missle.
>
> The_Beast

A sudden thought...
   Take a large piece of paper, and put the star in the middle, and then
draw rings
around it.  One ring for each planetary orbit, out to say 10-15.  Make
the rings
about 3/4 inch apart.  Then place planet counters on the orbit rings.
The whole map
would be about 23 inches across.

This is highly abstracted, but would be a workable one map solution...

Donald Hosford

Prev: Other Solar Sys maps Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 Next: [SG2]: GSM/P Question