Prev: [WAY OT] Re: 1940 Buck Rogers Serial.... with Buster Crabbe Next: Re: [OT] "Aluminum" Paint Jobs.

[Ridiculously OT] Re: Buck Rogers

From: Michael Sarno <atomicat@g...>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 10:30:15 -0500
Subject: [Ridiculously OT] Re: Buck Rogers

Rick Norman wrote:

> The show I was think about was the '79 to '80 shows. White uniform, a
> robot sidekick that said Bit, Bit, Bit... too much, not bad special
> effect for thrtime and budget. It made Battlestar Galaxia look like
> Shakespeare. It was rerun on Sci-Fic a few years ago.
> More information can be found,
> http://www.nikki.demon.co.uk/c25/

    The Buck Rogers film and TV series from the '70s and '80s were good
kid's shows.  They even had a number of excellent ideas for scripts.  I
still get the chills when I think about that "Vorvon" (sp?), the space
vampire.  Sure the dialog was dumbed down for kids, but it was, after
all, a kid's show.  I thought that the acting in the series was above
average.  Gil Gerard is a good steady series actor.  Erin Gray put forth
an excellent effort and looked great in that slinky space suit.  Tim
O'Connor (Dr. Huer) was an excellent straight man for Twiki.  How can
you
fault the immortal Mel Blanc for his take on Twiki?  It's hard to
believe
it was 21 years ago when I first heard Twiki mutter the timeless, "Bidi
bidi bidi, what a body." in regards to the lovely Princess Ardala
(Played
by the, coincidentally, equally lovely Pamela Hensley).
    The show included starfighter battles, a few capital ships, and even
the occasional fist fight.  As a 10-year old boy, I could want nothing
more.  Sure, in the last season it got stupid with Hawk and the rest of
the menagerie, but the film and the first two seasons were a great romp
for a young boy.
    I'll only take minor offense to your put-down of old Buck, but you
better not continue with those comments about Battlestar Galactica. ;-)
Fair warning, my autographed pictures of Gil Gerard and Richard Hatch
are
next to each other on my office wall!  Anybody who has seen my office
knows I'm not joking.  Now leave me alone and let me get back to
daydreaming about Erin Gray in that flight suit! :-)

-Michael

--
Michael Sarno

http://www.geocities.com/~atomicat
Check out my updated Charlie Company web pages!
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"No nation should put the burden of war
 on its military forces alone."
 -General William C. Westmoreland,
		  US Army, retired

Prev: [WAY OT] Re: 1940 Buck Rogers Serial.... with Buster Crabbe Next: Re: [OT] "Aluminum" Paint Jobs.