Prev: Re: [FT] Quick Q: Class 2 arcs Next: Re: [FT]Ship Names of the Nations - WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

Re: Re:Ship Names of the Nations

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:27:39 +0100
Subject: Re: Re:Ship Names of the Nations

Doug wrote:

> As for the authentic/obscure names, I'm fairly certain that Starfire
> used Arabic for the KON ships, but I never tried to find out for
sure.

The Ophiuchi ship names (or at least the class names) could be Arabic -
they're the ones all beginning with Al- (except the carriers which
begin with Zirk- ).

KON ship names tend to be bastardized from Terran words or names
(geographical, personal or even fictional). To list some of the more
obvious, there are the Filkhab-class BBs Atlynta, Dykhota, Feenyx,
Nazhvyl and Nevada (US states and cities), the Parzh-class BCs Dwerv,
Golam, Gondhar, Ilf, Ilfenhow, Roihana and Shir (Middle-Earth races and
countries) and the Kalakzon-class CAs Kalakzon, Alahrm, Syrun and
Wornyng (if you don't figure these out, you're too good at spelling
<g>).

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] Quick Q: Class 2 arcs Next: Re: [FT]Ship Names of the Nations - WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)