Prev: Re: Dirtside II FMA Enhancement. Next: Ships Stands - Thanks!!!

Re: [OT] Alien Space

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:33:39 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Alien Space

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:03:34 +1000 Alan E & Carmel J Brain
<aebrain@dynamite.com.au> wrote:

> According to http://www.erols.com/mrboone/wg_home.html the Star Trek
Game was called "Star Fleet Battle Manual", and was put out by
Gamescience in 1976, with Alien Space from 1975. <

Sorry, but AS dates back to _at least_ 1974. How do I know? 'Cause I
was playing it (or a modified version) with the Melbourne Uni SF Club
then. The first SF wargame that I ever played (as opposed to owned) and
lotsa fun, particularly with our house rules (and the typos!).

The SFBM did come out in '76, after Lou got a license from Franz
Joseph -- in a move of perhaps questionable legality which was only
sorted out some years later, the SFBM wasn't a "Star Trek" game, it
was a game based on FJ Designs' "Star Fleet Technical Manual"
(which, of course, was licensed from Paramount, but it took them
several years to notice) -- and included rules to make the two games
compatible (in fact, the cover of the SFBM showed Federation ships in
combat with AS Kuzis -- but then, we always knew that they were Klingon
wannabes, anyway <g>). There were only small differences between the
games -- except for the movement system, perhaps -- but enough to give
some flavour to combining the two.

The minis came out at about the same time, although the metal ones (the
"K-type", "R-type" and "T-type", a.k.a. the Klingon BC, the Romulan
Warbird and the Tholian PC) were much harder to find (at least in
Australia) than the plastic Fed stuff -- which is why I ended up with
such a large Federation fleet!

Note that this pre-dates SFB by several years (at least 3). SFB was
_also_ licensed by Franz Joseph, and it was only later (about '82?)
that Task Force began marketing the Gamescience minis in its own
packaging. Meanwhile, Gamescience continued to sell them themselves,
including the luminous and clear plastic ones, which TFG didn't bother
with.

Of course, the Alien Space minis that Lou mentioned on occasion never
eventuated, much to my dismay. I wanted Kuzis and Dorts -- oh, and a
Rux or two.

Phil, Gapper Zapper ace of bygone days....
"If you let a smile be your umbrella... you'll get wet teeth!"
   -- a forgotten comedian, quoted by me: Phil Atcliffe
				(Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk)

Prev: Re: Dirtside II FMA Enhancement. Next: Ships Stands - Thanks!!!