Prev: Re: [FT] Tug confusion Next: RE: [FT] Tug confusion (and Tug vs. Bay)

RE: [FT] Tug confusion (and Tug vs. Bay)

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:45:45 -0600
Subject: RE: [FT] Tug confusion (and Tug vs. Bay)

Noam wrote:
> The real problem is that an FTL fighter group for 33 points is
> unbalanced in terms of game mechanics. I don't know how to solve that
> without using Jared or Tom Barclay's PSB, when I prefer JTL's.
>
> The other issue I have is with tugs vs. bays. I have 3 designs (two
> cruisers and a destroyer) that each carry a single fighter squadron in
> launch bay. I could save myself 7 mass to use for other systems If I
> made the fighters parasite fighters (get nine back for the bay, use 2
> for the tug carry cap. Or, If I wanted to play the resupply game, I
> could buy a small bay and cargo space to service/reload fighters one
or
> two at a time between scenarios. This would give me 2 or 3 mass (9 for
> no bay, -2 for FTL tug cap, -4 or 5 for a small bay and cargo). that I
> could put into other systems. Is there a compelling reason _not_ to do
> it this way, assuming I want to keep the squadron on these ships?

Reasons not to have parasite fighters:

The fighters/clamps are easily damaged by enemy fire.  I would rule that
for
each damage point taken by the ship, a fighter/clap (depending if
launched
or not) destroyed.  6 points of damage on your ship and your fighters
can
not re-attach.

Fighters can not re-attach/land during a scenario.  The clamping process
it
too delicate of a procedure to under-take while under fire as compared
landing a fighter in a bay.  So no matter what the length of the
engagement,
fighters can't re-arm.

Unless it is a special situation (like the Black Omegas) I would say
that
the pilots of parasite fighters would be worse than those from a true
carrier.  If I was a good fighter pilot, I'd rather have a bay to land
in
and have my fighter worked on than be assigned as a parasite fighter
jockey
who may not have a clamp to fly back to after buzzing around the edge of
the
battle after my endurance ran out, then only to have to wait my turn to
get
my fighter worked on in the modified cargo bay.

Personally I don't think there would be an easy way to clamp on the
fighter
and allow a hatch for the pilot to get inside and allow for refueling.
That
stuff would take more space than just clamps and increase the clamps
fragility.

Dean

Prev: Re: [FT] Tug confusion Next: RE: [FT] Tug confusion (and Tug vs. Bay)