Prev: Re: [DSII] Genre Next: Re: [SGII] Spotters for snipers

Re: [DSII] Genre

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:19:53 +0000
Subject: Re: [DSII] Genre

>A number of weapons in Full Thrust are identified as 'genre specific',
>ie not part of the GZG-verse background, intended only to give FT the
>flexibility to be used in anime-style settings, etc.  For instance Nova
>Cannon and Wave Gun.
>
>What in the DSII book, if anything, is 'genre specific', ie not used by
>any of the GZG-verse powers?  The only obvious canidates are oversized
>vehicle/modular vehicles, and big walkers (size 4+).  Any thoughts?
>Maybe a word from Jon on which he considers part of the GZG-verse and
>which isn't?

Well, nothing is strictly off-limits, but as you say I always intended
Big
Mechs and Ogre-style modulars to MAINLY be used for players who wanted
use DSII to play Ogre or BTech type games. That isn't to say that some
nations haven't experimented with building them in the GZG-verse (I
suspect
the Japanese may well have a go at the Mechs...<grin>), but they've been
found to be relatively ineffective against cheaper and more conventional
forces, so they remain semi-experimental, limited deployment units for
use
in exceptional circumstances if at all. The rationale for oversize
vehicles
and mechs is firmly tied to the specific backgrounds of Ogre and BT (and
other mecha games), in which they make sense - in a more generic
framework,
they start to look silly.
No weapons systems in DSII are really genre-specific, though the SLAM
was
originally intended mainly for anime-style missile swarms.

>I recently purchased two (!) Ogres, already have a Scotia Rolling
>Thunder, and I also got two big grav tanks, so I've been thinking about
>an Imperial Dinochrome Turma.	:)

If you've got 'em, use 'em!!

Jon (GZG)