Prev: [FT] upcoming conventions Next: Re: [DS] size restriction on walkers

Re: [DS] size restriction on walkers

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:13:00 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] size restriction on walkers

At 08:03 PM 2/17/99 EST, you wrote:
>Can someone explain the reason for the size restrictions on walkers
(only
>available in size classes 1, 4, and 5+ according to page 14 of the
rules)?
 Is
>there some game-balance issue or PSB behind it?

Not that I'm aware.  I think it was more a reaction to Battletech and
(maybe) EPIC, which were the prominent microarmor-scale games out there
with walkers.  In BT, you've got tiny walkers (elementals) and then a
pretty big jump to the 'mechs (though you could probably make arguements
for <size 4; dunno, I don't play).  EPIC, you had robots/dreads, and
then
Titans (until the Knights came along...).

That's my take on it, anyway.  Jon may have other ideas in mind. ^_^

>I want to build an AT-ST,
>which would seem to me to be size 2, but I'd at least like to know the
reason
>for the rule I'm breaking.

Don't sweat it; that's definitely up there among the "most often broken"
list of rules.	(Others including "no more than one firecon on a
non-monster vehicle" and "max weapon size is one greater than vehicle
size"
to make tank destroyers and the like.)

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net
LAUNCH DAY!
A totally unprovoked attack on peaceful neighbors. Must be the race
file. Does strange things.
		--Rick Kucejko, on the War Monger PRT in Stars!

Prev: [FT] upcoming conventions Next: Re: [DS] size restriction on walkers