Prev: Re: assemblying FT minis Next: Re: assemblying FT minis

Re: Figs for DSII and SGII

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:23:54 -0700
Subject: Re: Figs for DSII and SGII

>Okay after beating my head against the Net for a little while, I
thought I'd
>get smart and ask.
>
>What kind of figs do you use for DSII and could you send me a link or
email
>address or phone # for the supplier.
>
>BTW I know about GZGs DSII line of figs and like them I'm just looking
for
>something different.
>
>Thank You
>Joe.

SG Figs:

I picked up a bunch of Hobby Products/Metal Magic "Spacelords" figs
(25 mm) on clearance. They are slightly larger than the GZG figs, but
can be used with them without looking too out-of-place. Unfortunately,
they're hard to get in the US. The guys at the local gaming store told
me they were dropping the line because, although they had no problem
getting the initial stock package, it was almost impossible to get
restock.

The Yoyodyne Shigaru figs are very nice, with light or medium combat
armor. Despite the name, the only "samurai" styling is a slight flaring
of the armor skirts below the waist. Each of about 4 different packs
has 4 different poses/figures, so there's good variety.
   The Cybertech Extra-Heavy is pretty good heavy infantry, in
full battle armor with heavy weapons, but most of the the other
Spacelords packs are "samurai in space"--fanciful samurai-styled
armor, with thoroughly impractical curves and flares all over it.

The Ship's Crew and Adventurers packages are also very nice.
And there's one fig from the Adventurers pack that looks like
Vasquez from Aliens.

In another scale: I have 84 plastic "toy" figures, about 15mm,
that I got as a "bonus" in packages of space ships I picked up for
$3 at Toy Liquidators (6 ships & 12 figs/pack). (Some of the ships
are becoming heavy infantry transports and dropships for DSII; others
are becoming capital ships for FT.) With a little conversion, the figs
will make nice infantry for SG or ??.

DSII Figs:

In addition to the plastic "toy" figures, I have a bunch of CMD
armor, some *old* Humvees and Ral Partha "BattleTech" Savannah
Master hover scouts, and Fortress Figures "Hover APCs" and
"Missile Tanks" (unfortunately out of production). For infantry,
I bought 2 packs of Ral Partha "BattleTech" infantry, one Davian
and one the house of which I can't remember just now. Both are
lightly armored, with a few heavy weapons mixed in. They're a
bit oversized (1/200, I think), but they detail nicely and are
easy to identify from across the table.
   I have a few GHQ modern APCs and such. I also have a few Ral
Partha "BattleTech" armor pieces (the Badger tank comes to mind),
though I'm doing minor conversions to them (different turrets
to turn tanks into artillery, removing turrets entirely to turn
them into MASH units, etc.).

Yes, I'm cheap: I always check the clearance bins and the Toy
Liquidator for bargains. 'Course, I also grab

- Sam

Samuel Reynolds
http://www.spinwardstars.com/
http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com
samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com

Prev: Re: assemblying FT minis Next: Re: assemblying FT minis