Prev: Re: [OT] Starfire economics/large battles was Re: Space Stations Next: Re: assemblying FT minis

Re: Crossover from GZGPedia List

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:15:48 -0500
Subject: Re: Crossover from GZGPedia List

<snip the rest... this following bit caught my eye...>

>Those who have read this far may also wish to discuss the effectiveness
(or
>lack) of grav vehicles on microgravity bodies.

How do gravitic vehicles propel themselves forward, sideways or down
(the
reference direction "down" meaning into the gravity well - on a planet
it
would mean toward the ground).	If it is simple contra-grav - they would
move *up* and *hover* with gravitic reaction, but would need alternative
propulsion systems to make them move around - jets, rocket motors, big
rubber bands, whatever.  Maybe using aerodynamic surfaces for
atmospheric
control, and thrusters for no- or low-atmosphere.

I think this is boring tho'.  I figure if we develop the technology to
manipulate gravity and create artificial gravity fields (ie on board a
starship), then the control available for a gravitic vehicle would be
much
more selective.  I see the gravitic craft as creating something akin to
force-field, but selective in the direction in which it "points" - like
the
rotors of a helicopter, you could choose to apply the force (which is a
reaction to the local gravity field) in different directions - not just
against the gravity pulling you "down" but also "across"...  I'm mostly
ignorant when it comes to the "physics" of gravity, but if I remember
Einstein correctly from documentaries on TV... ;-)  his idea is that
space-time is warped around large bodies, and it is this warping which
causes the effects we think of as gravity.  Maybe the gravitic motor in
the
grav-vehicle creates its own local warping of space-time - very small,
but
highly concentrated.  Maybe the motor can manipulate how this warping
works, to create effects similar to magnetism (attraction, repulsion) -
in
selective "directions".

Anyway, I'm completely rambling here, but the point I'm getting at is
that
I postulate a gravitic vehicle which can control its interaction with
the
local gravity field enough to propel itself in different directions, and
doesn't require other means of direct propulsion.  It may have other
means,
such as powerful rocket motors (or whatever spaceships/fighters use in
Tuffleyverse) for added performance, but it doesn't need them.

If this is the case, then why wouldn't they work perfectly normally in
an
asteroid field.  The Alarashi empire is described as inhabiting 3
systems -
ie around 3 stars.  If the stars have enough gravity to hold a 50km
planetoid in place and all the asteroids, certainly there's enough
gravity
for the gravitic motors in a grav sled to "push" against????  Remember,
it
isn't just Earth's gravity that affects us here, but the HUGE gravity
well
of our star that holds Earth in place...

Anyway, my rambling $0.02...

Adrian

Prev: Re: [OT] Starfire economics/large battles was Re: Space Stations Next: Re: assemblying FT minis