Prev: Re: Breathing FT life into a description Next: Rot Hafen and Kra'Vak

RE: Breathing FT life into a description (S:AB)

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:45:20 +1100
Subject: RE: Breathing FT life into a description (S:AB)

Scott,
Three Questions before I design the ships:
1.	How many fighters aboard each ship? (I have no idea, but need it
scale the ships)
2.	Will the PCs be flying any fighters?
3.	How long do you expect the combat to last (without any
roleplaying)?

***
Here's some initial suggestions (using your description, & what I
remember of S:AB).

Salvo Missile Launchers can used with some modification.

Offence Option: Instead of having a set range, they are moved as vector
ships with an initial velocity of 12 & 12 thrust points of endurance to
expend (24 for ER missiles).  Once the salvo has used all 12 endurance
points, it explodes whether there is a target or not.  It still has the
3" engagement envelope in vector.

Defence Option: SMLs can also be used as antimissiles.	Each launcher
not already used this turn offensively, can fire at any missiles that
end within attack range (24 for standard, 36 for ER).  Each missile in
the salvo acts a 1 die of PDS fire, which can be allocated to any salvo
in range (ie: can be split to roll 1 PDS against 6 salvos).  If the
reduced salvo still reaches it's target, roll the normal d6 to see how
many are on target, with a maximum total of the surviving missiles.  PDS
then attacks as normal.

If you want to do the bookkeeping, missiles can be individually fired
(max of 6 per launcher).  This would allow longer missile engagements &
increase the chances of a hit if you wanted to also allow each missile
to act independantly.  The problem with this is that PDS then becomes
overworked unless you use it as a general defence (ie: not limited to 1
PDS per salvo, but simply allocate PDS hits to the total number of
missiles on target).

'Neath Southern Skies
http://users.mcmedia.com.au/~denian/
*****
They seek him here, they seek him there;
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell?
That damned elusive, Pimpernel.
	- 'The Scarlet Pimpernel', Baroness Emma Orkzy