Prev: hello Next: Re: ISO Hammer's Slammers [Was: Re: [URL] Latest GZG Advert]

Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 12:18:43 +1300
Subject: Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

Noam R. Izenberg <noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:
>Colonial Notes:
>Another thought about the Class M stars is
>that the sunlight will be UV poor for green growing things.
    Actually, I was under the impression that anything that grows
_doesn't_
need UV light. Which is why humans have melanin and why we burn under
sunlight with UV in it. UV light tends to sterilise and destroy organic
molecules, like DNA and so on. Remember the hole in the ozone layer? The
ozone layer filters out UV light, except where the hole is.

>SG/DS Notes
>Human colonists/livestock, etc. are Invasive species in most any
>pristine planetary ecosystem. Surely some ecosystems have similar
>policies as the new US policy.  What would a SG/DS scenario where the
>planet's indigenous life seeks to evict the newcomers look like? Enemy
>units would not be military per se, but anything from insect swarms to
>killer plants, to Armored Elephantine Behemoths.
    The was one recent SF story collection (Tuf Voyaging?) that in one
story, had the colonists being attacked by a huge variety of strange
creatures every so often. These war creatures were genetically
engineered,
psionically, and were grown to remove the sudden 'plague' of humans.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz ICQ: 26227169
Blind See-Saw, DSII, DSII FAQ, GZG-L email FAQ, FUDGE, UY, MSH & WBG:
    http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/

Prev: hello Next: Re: ISO Hammer's Slammers [Was: Re: [URL] Latest GZG Advert]