Prev: GZG-OLC Next: Re: Starmap Page for Encyclopedia

Re: OT: Anyone want a good laugh?

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:43:51 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: OT: Anyone want a good laugh?

just playing devil's advocate here, you understand ...

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Mark A. Siefert wrote:

> Jason Stephensen wrote:
>
> > At 07:47 PM 2/3/99 -0600, techno-siefert wrote:
> >
> > >Will looking for info on The Great Crusade Network Swap, I stumbled
> > >onto this page:
> >
> > This is a joke, right.....?
>
>	Apparently not.  He been trolling about Aint it Cool News
proclaiming
> the evils of Babylon 5, JMS, and other "crap" science fiction like
> Robert Heinlein and Jerry Pournelle.	Anyone who is a B5 fan (whom he
> claims is part of a tiny minority of sci-fi fans) wants to "divide"
> sci-fi fandom and foist the Babylon 5 on the genre.  If you ask me.
He
> need therapy.

well, i hate to say this, but b5 actually isn't good sf. it is great
space opera (ships explode! people fall in love! none of the main
characters die except at crucial moments of the plot!) but it's not
science fiction.

it's also pretty badly acted and gets absurdly overblown in places.
personally, i love it. star trek is the same only with less exploding
ships (plus patrick stewart is a rather good actor, and yes, that's
probably just anglocentric bias; sorry).

this guy probably is just a trekker mad at seeing his show/religion
knocked off the top spot in the Cool SF stakes, but he does have one or
two points.

Tom

Prev: GZG-OLC Next: Re: Starmap Page for Encyclopedia