Prev: Re: Starmap Page for Encyclopedia Next: UBW/NAC battle DAR was: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)

Re: [DS] Design guidelines for Nationalities

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:44:22 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] Design guidelines for Nationalities

Andrew & Alex wrote:

> <JDoch226@aol.com> wrote:
> >Has anyone put together design guidelines for nationalities in DS,
> >as there are for FT?
>     I don't know. Why don't we agree on some?
>     First off would be the philosophy of the force. Perhaps human wave
(WWI
> and Chinese); WWII (Iraq and Iran); information war (US Modern);
fantasy
> (battle mech) or other.
>     Typical force structure might be next. Some sample vehicles
perhaps.

Any of them not up to date on info war, etc. would not be worth gaming.
Unless you like slaughter-fests in which one side participates primarily
as gunnery targets.  Think Desert Storm, but more lopsided.  You attempt
a human-wave attack against gauss rifles and VRF Gauss Guns, you are
just going to make a mess.  And with a pair of RAM Mortars dropping HEF
in my light infantry companies, let me dig in and I'll stand off a
brigade all month.  That stuff is for the birds.

I've put some thought into this--there is a reason Islamic Federation
grav tanks carry HELs rather than MDCs--a doctrine of avoiding decisive
engagement, which means long-range engagements, which means HEL is
ideal.	You also have to look at political considerations.  If you've
got a somewhat shaky political structure, you don't want your local
forces to have large high-tech formations.  Again, most of the Islamic
Federation Army is as low-tech as they come, with a handful of 'elite'
formations to stiffen.	This is also in accord with Arab practice today,
where most formations aren't worth spitting on, and there are a all
sorts of so-called "elites".  Their infantry also sucks, so you don't
see a lot of Powered Armor--the Arab infantry strength has always been
in light infantry, generally non-Arab mercenaries.

Imperial doctrine, however, emphasises quality over quantity, maneuver,
and the ability to engage decisively at any range.  They are also rich.
Hence grav tanks with MDCs in the main mobile field army, superior
electronics throughout the entire force, power armor.  HKPs are primary
armament of second-line troops, as the ability to engage enemy armor at
long range is paramount (and I refuse to put a fusion engine into a
tracked vehicle).  Force is also missle-heavy.	Akritai are special
case--requires light armor, maneuverability, cheapness, and ease of
transport.  Hence the LAV series.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Starmap Page for Encyclopedia Next: UBW/NAC battle DAR was: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)