Prev: Geo-Hex/GZG on TV: Pandemonium '99 Next: Re: Encyclopedia Assignments

Re: Encyclopedia Test Pages

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:40:11 -0500
Subject: Re: Encyclopedia Test Pages

>That being said, I've got a 'suggestion' up for pages, and page format.
>I'm from the minimalist school of page design.

Looks good!

>As for consistency; I think we should realize that absolute consistency
is
>impossible, since everybody will have different ideas of what the
future
>should be like.  I like the idea of making sure that Tuffley's canon be
>separated out from the rest of our ideas, so people know 'this is a fan
idea',
>and 'this is what the sourcebooks say'.

Perhaps change text color to indicate this?

>Project Management/Process Ideas:  Get an Editor.  Editor designs an
>with input from the list.  (Not sent to the list, but sent to the
editor.)

Grabbing an encyclopedia volume (Grolier's Academic American) and
looking up
England, we see these paragraphs, with "links" mentioned in that
paragraph:
I. General description, covering location, area, population, capital,
and
derivation of the name.(UK, London)
II. Land
   A. Landforms (Pennines, Lake District)
   B. Climate
   C. Rivers and vegetation (Severn, Thames, Trent)
III. People
   A. Ethnicity
   B. Population distribution--urban vs. rural
   C. Language and religion
IV. Economic activities
   A. Natural resources and industry (five industrial areas)
   B. Agriculture
   C. Transportation including ports (Liverpool, Hull, Bristol)
V. Government and History
   A.  Division into counties
   B.  History (Wessex)
   C. Effect of geography on history

Thirteen paragraphs in all.

Prev: Geo-Hex/GZG on TV: Pandemonium '99 Next: Re: Encyclopedia Assignments