Prev: [OT] Name pronounciation Next: Re: NI stealth project

Re: EG (Encyclopedia Galactica) - reply to (long post)

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:41:29 -0500
Subject: Re: EG (Encyclopedia Galactica) - reply to (long post)

<snip>

>Now everybody, let's take a DEEP BREATH and pause for a moment. This is
>BIG PROJECT. This is a project that could get people PISSED (mad) at
each
>other ("Why isn't my essay included?" "Hey, my ship design isn't in
there!"
>"I refuse to let you people tell me what to do - I'll do my OWN!") It
could
>easily fall down in a heap.

<more snip>

>We're all fired up now, all excited... but where will we be in six
months,
>when we're caught up in the details.

<snip story>

>Even if the project eventually dies away to just a few dedicated people
-
>the material slows down, but what is there is a proud achievement.
>
>Let's start with the line drawing, the map, the broad strokes - and
let's
>fill in the details a little later. Hopefully, they'll mostly take care
of
>themselves.

Jeremy - lots of good points!  This encyclopedia idea is a good one, and
I'm glad there are a couple of people on the list who are stepping up to
take on the challenge of making it work - kudos to you!

A suggestion - a couple of us proposed that we start with a *much* more
cut-down version of this.  Maybe an encyclopedia page which would
contain
not much more than a set of links to the various list members' own
pages,
and a 1 or 2 sentence description of what is found there.  There would
be
no attempt made to keep similar formats, or anything like that.  This
would
be done purely to get something started NOW, because the project you
have
outlined is BIG and will take a LONG time to get done.	Don't get me
wrong,
the megacyclopedia is a great idea and I look forward to participating
in
getting it going - but there will be more interest in the project if we
get
something happening, so people can see it, soon.  Might even help to
spark
ideas.

Just a thought.

Adrian

Prev: [OT] Name pronounciation Next: Re: NI stealth project