Prev: Re: More thoughts on Encyclopedia Next: EG Appearence

EG (Encyclopedia Galactica)(long post!)

From: "Jeremy Sadler" <jsadler@e...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:14:48 +1100
Subject: EG (Encyclopedia Galactica)(long post!)

Okay people..

Two points:

I think where ever is chosen to host should have Server Side Includes
and
CGI access.  In this way, we could hope to cut down some of the work by
automating it.

Secondly..

What we need to really kick start this thing is suggestions for MAJOR
SUBJECT HEADINGS.  These would be the main headings people would read on
the
front page of the EG.  Some people have thrown up examples already; here
are
mine (by no means an exhaustive listing) - and please bear in mind these
are
coming off the top of my head:

Foreword - Hopefully by J.Tuffley <grin>
Introduction - What is EG?
The Universe As We Know It
    - Overview of the political states
    - Overview of aliens
    - Overview of technology
    - Overview of travel
    - Overview of military deployments
History
    - Timeline
    - Major events detailed (possible fiction)
The State Of Play (collected & collated from info already available)
    - Major States
    - Minor States
    - Independants/notables
    - Major, minor and notable worlds
    - Maps
Use Of Weapons (this is where it gets really detailed)
    - The Modern Infantry: weapons, armour, skills, training,
Organisations
    - The Modern Knights: (AFVs people!) as above
    - Angels in the Dark: (Ships - including pics!)
    - Tables of Organisation (fleets, armies, whatever)
    - Wars
    (as someone pointed out, this shouldn't be just regurgitating what
has
already been written ie stats, but should be written in the style of an
encyclopedia)
Our Neighbours
    - Alien races
Hitchiker's Guide
    (This is where is written irreverant essays on the universe, perhaps
as
fiction, perhaps from the viewpoint of a hitcher travelling through
space.)
Reports
    - Fiction