Prev: Re: Gaming backgrounds/scenarios Next: Re: Gaming backgrounds/scenarios

Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 00:23:34 -0500
Subject: Re: Battlefleet Gothic Report

At 10:41 PM 1/24/99 -0600, Mark Siefert wrote:
>	You should make an effort to come to GenCon... quite a few of
this list
>members make an appearance.

It's an idea... dunno if I can make it this year, either.

>> First off, the miniatures are gorgeous!  They were not much
>> like the the cardboard punch-outs in White Dwarf #225,
>> they more resembled the concept drawings and ship miniatures
>> in the article. You can see one in the illustration at
>> http://www.games-workshop.com/newreleases/battlefleet.html
>
>	Excuse me... <Click.... connection made.... loading.....>
>
>	Droooooooooollllll :-)..

Hey!  Clean that up! ^_-

(Lordy, I'm getting tired....)

>> Like Aaron observed, they were just *made* for drybrushing.
>> Lots of very deep detail, with raised fretwork.
>
>	Makes sense, given the dark, "gothic" nature of the universe.
So, you
>would recomend a coat of black and just drybrush the various colors on,
>yes?

Actually, one way that I've gotten good results for painting color over
black is to drybrush dark and/or light gray over the black -- this
coats,
unlike many colors -- and then wash the whole mini.  (In moderation, of
course; don't just dunk it.)  The color comes out over the grayscale
underneath, looks pretty good.

Though, in fairness, I've used that more on fur & the like than a
starship.
^_^;

>> We figure that given Pudding Workshop's history of pricing,
>> some people will by the boxed set and throw away the rules,
>> so they can get a price break on a set of minis.
>
>	Even if no one plays the game in my neighborhood (see my rant on
>rec.games.miniatures.misc on this topic) the ships and the info
>presented will be great for FT.

One of these days, I've *got* to get back on newsgroups. ^_^;

>	Only eight ships?  Metal or plastic?  How about other components
like
>fighter and torpedos?

Plastic cruisers, with counters for ordinance.

>> Aaron asked Andy Chambers (the designer) about Full Thrust.
>> Andy's main comment was he didn't care for the pre-written
>> movement orders in FT.  Battlefleet Gothic therefore uses
>> the old "Player A moves and fires, then Player B moves
>> and fires".
>
>	Did he say why he didn't care for pre-written orders?

Too time-consuming, especially in large fleet battles.

>	I wonder if GW would ever had considered re-doing BG if FT and
the boom
>in starship combat games hadn't come about?  Oh well, better now than
>never.

<grin>

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net
LAUNCH DAY!
A totally unprovoked attack on peaceful neighbors. Must be the race
file. Does strange things.
		--Rick Kujecko, on the War Monger PRT in Stars!

Prev: Re: Gaming backgrounds/scenarios Next: Re: Gaming backgrounds/scenarios